Imagine what you can do with nothing but a bunch of recycled and free materials. That’s what I do most of the time, and this is an example. Here’s a list of what was used for this “free bird”:
1. bird base – scrap fabric cut and sewn into a bird shape and stuffed with more scrap fabric
2. bird’s eyes – black-tipped straight pins from my sewing supply stash
3. fluffy bird texture - created from hand torn pieces of tea-dyed used dryer sheets
4. “imagine” detail – from my scrap paper pile
5. bird stand – two stacked garden spout handles
By the way, does anyone remember the Lynyrd Skynrd song “Free Bird?” Back in the day (high school for me) this song was a huge hit and all the guys in school were freakishly crazy for it. Does anyone remember how most of the leather-jacket-wearing-guys used to play air guitar (lol!) I never fully understood the draw, but I probably didn’t bother to investigate it much either. Anyone care to explain? Wikipedia reminded me of the lyrics: “If I leave here tomorrow would you still remember me?” As I read these lines I could practically hear the tune in my head. Isn’t it interesting how music has the power to stick with you even after decades have gone by? And while listening to, or in this case merely thinking about a verse, I was instantly transported to another time, another place, another me (?) Totally bizaare!